The master programme in Web and Data Science covers specialized knowledge for analysing data and for designing and developing Web and data-intensive systems. Key to such development and analysis is the understanding of the Web and data ecosystems as being multi-faceted, governed by technologies, economics, and social interactions of humans, interest groups, companies and governments.
The Master program prepares the graduate for independent academic work, lays the foundations for further achievements in the subject area, and provides the skillset for continuing doctoral studies. It is a qualification for the ability to conduct complex tasks responsibly, with a focus on scientific soundness, intellectual independence, which are prerequisites for all kinds of research.
|Degree||Master of Science|
|Standard period of study||4|
|Start of program||Winter semester|
|Application deadline for winter semester|
For non-EU students:
How to apply
Bachelorabschluss in Informatik, Computervisualistik oder Wirtschaftsinformatik oder ähnliche Abschlussprüfung mit mindestens 60 ECTS-Credits in Informatik, jeweils mit mindestens der Note "gut" (2,5)
Englisches Sprachzertifikat (TOEFL-Test mind. 79 Punkte. Cambridge Certificate auf Niveau B2 oder IELTS-Test mind. 6,5 Punkte)
Contents and structure
- Introduction to Web Science, Network Theory and Dynamic Systems, Engineering Web and Data-intensive Systems
- Introduction to Data Science, Big Data und Machine Learning and Data Mining
- Wahlpflichtveranstaltungen aus der Informatik mit Bezug zu Web und Data Science
- Wahlpflichtveranstaltungen aus beliebigen interdisziplinären Bereichen mit Bezug zu Web und Data Science
Apart from its strong academic focus, the program has a clear focus on employability. Whether you are entering the job market, want to fulfil executive position, progress from your current position, or are looking for a career change, the course provides the right skill set to:
- collect and use relevant data to influence business decisions
- develop Web systems, Web strategies and Web and data ecosystems
- provide substantial practice for strategic communication via data science
The programme requires competencies acquired in a preceding Bachelor study programme, which is equivalent to Computer Science studies of type 1 (core computer science) or type 2 (computer science with specific application subject). The overall grade must be 2.5 or better (CGPA 65% or grade B).
Non-academic, practical experience in computer science will not be taken into account.
Applicants should have written a scientific work in their previous studies, typically in the form of a bachelor thesis.
Students subscribing to the Web and Data Science are expected to possess the following competencies, skills, and knowledge:
- Skills in programming and analyzing basic data structures and algorithms.
- Basic knowledge in the design, modeling, and testing of software according to the software development process.
- Understanding of formal foundations and principles of programming languages.
- Basic knowledge in analysis, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, and logic.
- Skills in academic writing and presenting.
- Basic understanding of formal languages, automata theory, and computational complexity theory.
Applicants are expected to reflect on these academic requirements in a motivational letter.
A standardized English language certificate is required; any proof that your previous studies were held in English is not sufficient and not negotiable. We accept three types of language proficiency certificates:
- a TOEFL result of at least 79 (internet based/ Home Edition), 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer based)
- IELTS test with 6.5 points minimum
- Cambridge certificate at level B2 or higher