Fees and Funding

Fees and Funding

Tuition Fees

Applicants who would like to apply for a master's degree and have not completed any other master's degree so far do not have to pay any tuition fees.

Education in Germany is heavily funded by the federal states. As a result, despite the high quality of the German education system, the costs for studying in Germany are comparatively low.

Semester contribution

Students enrolled at the University of Koblenz have to pay a recurring semester contribution. It covers part of the administration costs as well as social contributions to the AStA (Student Union) and the Studierendenwerk (Student Services). In Koblenz it also includes a student transit pass (public transportation within Koblenz and surroundings).

For more information on the current semester contribution please see here.

If required, you can buy a semester ticket at a reduced price offered by the two regional public transport companies, which is valid for one semester, i.e. six months.

The semester ticket of theVerkehrsverbund Rhein-Neckar (VRN) costs € 175 as of February 2020.

Students living in Karlsruhe can get a semester ticket from Karlsruher Verkehrsverbund (KVV) for € 162,80 as of September 2020.

Further information can be found on the websites of the public transport companies:


uni-assist fees

Students with a non-German degree (A-Levels or Bachelor) need to apply for our programs via uni-assist. The uni-assist application fee amounts to € 75 for the first desired course of study. Additional 30 € apply for every additional desired course of study.

Detailed information on payment procedures can be found on: uni-assist.de

Living costs

We estimate that you need around € 934 - 980/month for rent, food, books, clothes, phone, health insurance, semester contribution and recreational activities.

On the following website you can find an overview of average prices in Germany displaying rent and utility costs as well as products of daily life: www.numbeo.com

Please also check the recommendations of the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) regarding costs of living: DAAD - Living costs

You do not need any proof of financial means to apply for our study programs. But please keep in mind that you may need it to apply for a visa.

Financing your studies


The university itself does not have any restrictions on part-time jobs. However, restrictions may be given due to visa requirements. For this reason, please ask the German embassy or consulate about any restrictions regarding this matter when you apply for your visa.

Students from the European Union (EU) usually have free access to the German job market and are practically equivalent to German students. Normally, international students from other countries can work a total of 120 days per year. This does not include work as a research assistant. But please double check this at the German embassy or consulate when you apply for your visa.

Please consider that due to the work load of your study program you may not have the time to work. Therefore, please make sure that your finances are settled before your arrival in Germany.

To get support with the labor market integration, please check our STAIR project. It covers several events on the job application processes and helps you to connect with important regional partners like the Chamber of Industry and Commerce or the Federal Employment Agency.


The Stipendienstiftung Rheinland-Pfalz offers Degree Completion Scholarships.

You can also apply for STIBET-Scholarships. More information about these are availabe here.

Students of the University of Koblenz who go abroad to a non-EU country for a semester in order to study or to undertake an internship can also apply for a PROMOS scholarship.

Apart from the funding mentioned above, there is a wide range of scholarship foundations. The DAAD offers an overview. The KOSINUS network also provides a summary of funding opportunities, as well as the scholarship database Stipendiumplus.de.